Carer’s Allowance recipients may be able to get discount on their Council Tax

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The weekly rate for Carer’s Allowance is currently £67.25 per week. This, however, can affect the other benefits that the claimant, and the person they care for, can get.

Furthermore, it’s important to be aware that tax may need to be paid on it, if the claimant’s income exceeds the Personal Allowance.

To claim Carer’s Allowance, the person doesn’t need to be related to or live with the person they care for.

However, it’s not possible to get paid extra if care is provided for more than one person.

Additionally, if another person also cares for the same person, it’s important to be aware that only one person can claim Carer’s Allowance.

The payment can either be paid weekly in advance, or every four weeks.

This is a decision which can be made by the recipient of the Carer’s Allowance.

The money itself will be paid into an account such as the person’s bank account.

As well as getting the cash payments, claiming Carer’s Allowance may unlock access to other forms of support.

The government website explains: “You may also be able to apply for:

  • Support from your local council
  • A Council Tax Reduction
  • Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or out of work
  • Pension Credit if you’re over working age
  • Grants and bursaries to help pay for courses and training
  • Income Support (if you get the severe disability premium and you’re on a low income)
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the severe disability premium and you cannot work).”

Additionally, for each week a person gets Carer’s Allowance, they will automatically get National Insurance credits – something which can help build up state pension entitlement.

People who live in Scotland who get Carer’s Allowance may also get a Carer’s Allowance Supplement.

Council Tax Reduction is something which is sometimes called Council Tax Support.

Under the scheme, a person who is eligible for it will get a discount on their Council Tax bill.

However, this is not something which can be applied for from the central government.

Instead, a person needs to apply to their local council for Council Tax Reduction.

It may be those eligible can see their bill be reduced by up to 100 percent, although there are a number of factors which affect what a person gets.

This isn’t available in Northern Ireland, but there is a different scheme instead.

Source: Read Full Article